Sunday 29 June 2008

My personal story


Last summer, after meeting the Wired In team, I decided to do my personal story. I wanted others to learn about addiction from someone who had experienced it themselves. I’ve experienced the depths of addiction and I hoped that my story would put people off going down the same route as I did. For those trapped in the cycle of addiction, I hope that my story shows you that there is a way out.

To start with I didn’t really know what I was going to say. I sat down with Lucie and we decided that we would record us talking about my addiction and recovery and then write the story from the recording. I thought it would take about an hour. Six hours later we were still going strong!

When I saw my story on paper I couldn’t believe it. It was quite hard reading through everything although it did help me realise how far I had actually come since my drug using days. I felt proud of what I had achieved, and it felt good to have the opportunity to show others that addiction can be overcome.

I now live with my girlfriend and beautiful baby boy. Don’t get me wrong, life is tough but in comparison to my life in addiction it is 1000% better. I hope that you enjoy reading my story. If you would like to get in touch with me please leave a comment on my blog.

Thanks, Chris.

1 comment:

David Clark said...

Chris,
Really enjoyed reading your Personal Story. It gave a good picture of where addiction can take you and provided me with some key elements relevant to finding recovery.
You emphasised the importance of increasing self-esteem, being able to work at one's own pace, knowing what to expect, and having to relearn simple aspects of normal life. I really hope you will keep us informed as to what is important in maintaining your recovery.
Thank you, David